Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Introverts and the Kingdom

First, I think this post should be taken as an example of a work in progress--some ideas that aren't fleshed out. Perhaps, as this Crooked Timber post suggests it's just "a repository for [a ]transient thought. . . "

With that caveat, I'll start rambling. I'm an introvert, a member of the misunderstood group described here and here. Even worse, I'm an introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving (INTP) person described here and here. In short, I like to stay away from people.

Much of this angst, if that's the right word, has come about as a result of bits of reading that I've done. Several bloggers who give advice about starting successful blogs claim that a blog roll is necessary to show that one is part of the internet community. Don't get me wrong, I plan to add a blogroll as soon as I can, but it strikes me as odd that the internet which has been described as a digital Wild West has no room for voices crying in the wilderness.

In John Fischer's Confessions of a caffeinated Christian , Fisher explains how he has trouble looking past the coffee cups to engage in conversation with other coffee shop denizens. He vows to keep trying.

All of this got me to wondering. Is a possible for the introvert to live the moral life of the golden rule. If all we want is to be left alone, can we do any good by treating others as we want to be treated? If people will know we're part of the kingdom of God because we love our neighbor as ourselves, can we ever show that we're part of the kingdom?

Re-read paragraph one for a conclusion.

No comments:

My Favorite Stuff In 2018: Coffee, Stationery, & Folding Knives Edition

I hope to become an adult before I collect Medicare, but the odds aren't very good. I nerd out about a lot of stuff: comics, coffee, fou...