Saturday, April 22, 2006

Musings About The Past Week

I didn't post every day. I have to work on that.

Wednesday was a day when everything went wrong. I couldn't utter a coherent sentence to answer a simple question. The notes that I had carefully put together turned out to be rather sloppy. If I had been a baseball pitcher I would have given up 4 homeruns on 4 straight pitches unless I decided to aim at a hitter's head to break the streak. Wednesday reminded me that I try to teach. If doctors practice medicine and lawyers practice law, it seems presumptuous to claim that teachers teach. The best I can do is try.

During the week we got an email politely castigating us for not taking attendance properly or effectively. I know that attendance is part of the job, but I never thought it was worth an email. During the past 10 years, we have gotten emails or memos about all sorts of administrative tasks that were not being done properly. I don't recall a single email encouraging me to learn more about my subject matter or to try to each better. In fact, I don't recall a single department meeting devoted to learning to teach better. I have never worked in a business, but I wonder if every memo and meeting is about administrative details.

I found some good comic book blogs. This
post is really good.

I was reminded that the electronic hand dryers really suck.

The singer/songwriter Pink seems to be the same sort of enigma that all humans are. She writes and sings a song that urges girls to think about being President of the United States, but then there is this
article. (I got to watch videos with my daughter this morning. I don't get much time with her, so two hours of VH1 Countdown is really fun.)

No comments:

My Favorite Stuff In 2018: Coffee, Stationery, & Folding Knives Edition

I hope to become an adult before I collect Medicare, but the odds aren't very good. I nerd out about a lot of stuff: comics, coffee, fou...